Dad of Divas' Reviews: Book Review - Social Media: A Critical Introduction

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Book Review - Social Media: A Critical Introduction

 photo disclaimer2_zps8af35ac1.jpg

About the Book
Now more than ever, we need to understand social media - the good as well as the bad. We need critical knowledge that helps us to navigate the controversies and contradictions of this complex digital media landscape. Only then can we make informed judgements about what's happening in our media world, and why.

Showing the reader how to ask the right kinds of questions about social media, Christian Fuchs takes us on a journey across social media, delving deep into case studies on Google, Facebook, Twitter, WikiLeaks and Wikipedia. The result lays bare the structures and power relations at the heart of our media landscape.

This book is the essential, critical guide for all students of media studies and sociology. Readers will never look at social media the same way again.



My Take on the Book
This book really goes into depth into the pervasiveness of social media in society today. The book takes a bit of an academic approach to the topic, but for me this opened my eyes to so much more than just the user experience. The book takes you in deep and lets you really digest what is really happening in social media, and let me tell you, it is much deeper than you would originally think.

For me, with kids growing up immersed in social media and technology I need to feel that I understand the ramifications, and this book has started me on that path to understanding. This was a well written book, with well thought out and researched stances. I was very impressed at the overall writing and what the author had to share in general and I think you will too.


----------------------------------------
New to the Divadom or to Dad of Divas Reviews?
Please Subscribe to my RSS Feed! Subscribe in a reader
Questions? Drop me a line at dadofdivas@gmail.com

No comments: